Wandaful Quilts

Visit my blog shop https://wandafulquilts.blogspot.com for items for sale: wall art, mini art, quilt tops, fabric groupings. It is an ever changing group of items.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

It's about time.....

I couldn't ignore it any longer.....it wasn't going to quilt itself.  I spent the morning on errands yesterday, the early afternoon planting more pots and then it started raining so I couldn't get any photos of them.  Last night I finally quilted this colorwash.  It  just needed one width of fabric for the back.
I finished quilting it at 10 p.m. and started taking out the basting threads.  I used clear polyester monofilament thread this time for the ditch quilting from top to bottom on every seam.  I use thread to match the backing fabric in the bobbin.  Today I will trim it and choose a binding.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Outdoor time..........

The first thing I did was lug 6 huge bags of pine bark nuggets to the backyard and refreshed my path through the garden.  The nuggets were larger than the ones I usually use but were the only ones I could find.  I took this photo in the early evening so the colors are really subdued.
I got three pots planted for the front porch.  I planted them with identical plants this year.












This recycled plastic pot doesn't look like much yet but will fill in.  I may add a couple petunias in there today.





Here are the 4 pots that I had Dahlias in last year.  I just cut off the dead plants and put the pots in my heated garage for the winter.  One started growing about 6 weeks ago, the others are a little slower but the last one is finally coming up.  I planted them later in the season last year so I'm hoping for more blooms this year.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

One block........

I cut some more triangles and made a replacement block for my triangle star quilt - to replace the one I want to pull out and use in another quilt.  I didn't press this one yet since I have other things to press today and will press it then.

I finally bought some flowers to plant in my pots.  It has been cool and rainy for over a week so I didn't get this done as early this year.  Hopefully I'll do some planting today and have some photos tomorrow.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Variety.......

Rain again....this is what the peonies look like from the studio window.  You can see I have a lot of buds out there if it will just warm up and stop raining.  I have picked 2 bouquets already from the 3 types that are blooming so far.
I cut 16 more Kaffe fabrics in 2.5" squares in my ongoing project.  

Then I basted a colorwash last night so I should be able to have one finish this month.  Last year I didn't have any complete finishes.  This top was finished one year ago and is shown on this post. 

It looks like a square here but it is rectangular.  This one is made from 1.5" x 3" finished rectangles and it is one of my favorites.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Last seams sewn........

I had to take advantage of a dry warm day and mow the grass yesterday.  It was cold on Sunday and rain coming again last night.  I sewed the last 14 seams in 3 sessions yesterday and got this small quilt pressed last night.  The triangle squares are 3" finished so this is about 36" x 45.5".  The last few triangles from the box will be sewn into 3 six inch blocks with only 3 left over.  Those blocks will go in my orphan block box.

Monday, May 22, 2017

A little design time..........

I have missed design time.  Last night I looked through my boxes of triangles and found a stack of triangle squares already sewn.  They were the leftovers from my Triangles 1 and Triangles 2 that I made in April 2016.  Click here to see them.  I decided on a chevron pattern and started playing.  I got the seams all sewn in one direction last night.  It will only be about 36" x 45" which is truly a lap quilt size.  It felt good to see what I could make with the combinations that were already sewn.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Cutting a new stack..........

I started cutting strips of Kaffe fabric for this cutting project over a year ago.  I want to do another Kaffe colorwash but I have some other ideas for the 2.5" squares too.  I used them in this quilt - which isn't finished yet.
I started with fabric 01 which was out in the early 1990s.






Each fabric is a double layer and there are 3 fabrics (6 layers) in each stack.  I'm using the GO! die for this one because the Studio die doesn't cut as clean (I have to pull the squares out carefully at every intersection).  I could cut 10 layers with the Studio die but I spend a lot of time getting the piles of squares off the die.  The GO! die will cut 6 layers at a time and the fabric piles lift off easily.  I cut the long strips at the 8 1/8" mark twice for each pile of 6 layers.
I lay them on the die with the lengthwise grain leading into the roller.




 


After cutting this is all the waste there is.  This cutting project will probably take at least a month to finish.





 
I'm stacking them in a cookie sheet.  The larger sheet on the bottom will be the one where I fan out the layers so I can keep track of what I have cut.  The green square at the top of the tray isn't perfect.  Some of the fabrics had a swatch cut out of a corner so I will pull the imperfect squares and keep them separate.  They will probably get cut down to 2" squares at some point.